Get help fast for yourself or your son, daughter or student

How to get help fast for yourself or someone you care about

Here are some good places to get help right away if you or someone you care about may be experiencing psychosis:

1) Call HealthLinkBC by dialing 811 (No area code necessary. They are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week) and ask for information on “Early Psychosis Intervention” Services in your community. If you prefer to look this information up yourself, you can visit this link for a list. Most of these services you will be able to call directly to get yourself or someone else assessed right away. Most serve people under 30 years old. This is the fastest route to effective help, and speed is important.

2) Contact either the adult mental health centre (over 18) or the child and youth mental health centre (under 18) in your area. Again HealthLink BC (Call 811, no area code necessary) can get you the numbers for the one nearest you. Ask for an “EPI Clinician” or “Early Psychosis Intervention Clinician” to assess the person. Here’s a list of central intake locations and numbers to get you started or you can just call 811 and have them find the appropriate resource for you.

3) The person can go to their family doctor and tell them “I think I am experiencing psychosis”. This will help the doctor identify how and where to send the person for help. Note: Usually a person with psychosis needs specialist help, and they need it fast, so the above two resources are better if they are available in your area.

4) Contact your local branch, office or coordinator with the BC Schizophrenia Society. Click here for a full list. BCSS staff and volunteers can help you find and connect with local services, or figure out what to do for your particular situation. They can be very helpful if you find yourself getting stuck connecting with services.

Leave a Reply